If you suffered a knee injury, you should see a New Jersey knee injury specialist. A knee injury can be debilitating, so it is important to get it looked at as soon as possible. A doctor can evaluate your knee injury and determine the best course of treatment.
Common Knee Injuries
The knee is made up of several structures, which can all be injured. Here are some of the most common knee injuries people endure:
- Fractures: The ends of the femur and tibia can suffer fractures and most frequently occur because of high energy trauma, like vehicle collisions and falling from heights.
- ACL Injuries: These types of knee injuries typically occur during sports, like basketball, football and soccer. During these sports, you can frequently change directions and land from jumping improperly, tearing the ACL.
- Meniscal Tears: These injuries also frequently happen while twisting, pivoting or cutting in sports. If the menisci in your knee have weakened due to age, you can also suffer a tear twisting incorrectly when getting up from a chair.
- PCL Injuries: These injuries occur when the front knee suffers a blow while being bent. They typically happen during car accidents and sports.
How to Treat Knee Injuries
There are several treatment options available for knee injuries. The type of treatment a New Jersey knee injury specialist recommends will depend on various factors, such as the severity of the injury, your age and your overall health. Here are some of the treatment options:
- Immobilization: If you have a knee injury, you want to avoid moving your knee as much as possible. A knee pain doctor New Jersey residents count may suggest wearing a cast or brace to keep your knee in place while you heal.
- Physical Therapy: Your doctor may also advise you to go to physical therapy to treat your knee injury. A physical therapist will help you perform certain exercises to help restore strength and function in your knee.
- Surgery: In some instances, surgery may be necessary to repair a knee injury. However, you usually do not have to have the surgery immediately. It is important to go over the pros and cons with your doctor to make sure it’s the right decision. There are several surgical options available, including partial knee replacement and total knee replacement. Partial knee replacement replaces just the damaged part of the knee while total knee replacement replaces the entire knee with an artificial joint.
If you are dealing with a knee injury, you should make an appointment to see a New Jersey knee injury specialist as soon as possible. Do not suffer with the discomfort for any longer than you have to. A doctor can help you choose the appropriate treatment for your injury and get you back to living a normal life.