Physical Therapy Edison, NJ
At Northeast Spine & Wellness Center, our chiropractors have helped countless patients who come to us with injuries and are in need of physical therapy Edison, NJ residents trust. Typically, they come to our office with symptoms of pain, swelling, giving out, locking, or instability. Our knee chiropractor can take a complete medical history, conduct a physical exam and, if necessary, order tests such as an MRI or X-rays if more diagnostic tests are needed.
A knee injury can occur due to a bad accident, a minor fall, or anything in between. Regardless of how the injury occurs, it is not uncommon for a knee injury to take months to heal and require physical therapy Edison, NJ patients depend on for quality care.
The Structure of the Knee
The knee has four ligaments and they work in pairs. The anterior cruciate and posterior cruciate ligaments control the forward and backward motion of the knee. The lateral collateral and medial collateral ligaments provide sideways stability for the knee. Injuries occur when there is some type of twisting to the knee or if there is a significant blow to the area.
One of the most common places where knee injuries occur is to the ligaments:
- Anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) knee injury: If the knee is twisted, gets bent the wrong way, or is pushed too far, the ACL can become overstretched, rupture, or tear. There are usually immediate symptoms when this happens. The knee can give away, there may be a popping sound, and the patient suffers pain and swelling.
- Medial collateral ligament (MCL) tear: When there is any kind of force to the outside of the knee or sudden twisting, this can cause the MCL to tear. Symptoms of an MCL tear include swelling, pain of the inner knee, difficulty bending the knee, and instability. A knee chiropractor may recommend physical therapy, the PRICE method, and a knee brace for treating the injury.
- Posterior cruciate ligament (PCL) injury: A blow to the top of the shin bone that causes the knee to bend backward can lead to injury or a tear of the PCL. There may be mild pain and swelling, although many patients do not realize they have suffered an injury. Untreated, the tear can call instability when the patient bends their knee. Treatment usually includes physical therapy and a knee brace. In some cases, surgery may be necessary.
Healing Muscle Strains with Comprehensive Care
There are many different ways to approach treating an injury. In most instances of minor strains, healing can occur through the RICE method (rest, ice, compression, elevation). But what happens if this doesn’t treat the injury entirely? A more comprehensive treatment plan may need to be created for that patient, such as combining massage, chiropractics, and physical therapy. Here we explain more in-depth about how people can benefit from these treatment approaches:
How Muscle Strains Happen
Muscle strains occur when there has been damage to muscle tissue, through movements that overloaded the muscle itself, causing it to tear either partially or completely. Most muscle strains that are relatively mild can be healed through rest. For more severe cases, surgery may be needed to correct the damage. However, it is important to note that the muscle doesn’t have to be dormant during the process of healing. In fact, muscles that suffer strain can benefit from physical therapy, light exercise, chiropractics, and massage therapy.
The Non-Invasive Approach
Unfortunately, one major downside to purely conventional medicine is that most doctors will just prescribe patients with pain and inflammation prescriptions and then send them on their way. More alternative and non-invasive approaches, such as the ones from the Northeast Spine & Wellness Center, can target the muscle and surrounding area to treat the problem directly instead of hiding the symptoms temporarily.
Patients who are new to alternative medicine may be worried about how treatments will feel. Rest assured, we are happy to answer any questions you have, whether they are right for you, and what you can expect to feel during a treatment session. Our treatments should not cause you additional pain and discomfort.
Adding Physical Therapy Edison, New Jersey Trusts to the Equation
Chiropractics and physical therapy can be impactful in treating and rehabilitating a muscle strain. Attempting to rehabilitate a muscle that has been partially or totally torn is too risky and further damage may result. When we get hurt, we tend to favor the injured part without realizing it, applying more wear on the other side. The favoring can cause an imbalance in how we walk and carry our bodies. Physical therapy Edison, NJ patients rely on is a tool for correcting this imbalance while striving towards the movement we had before the muscle strain. Physical therapy can also help by:
- Stretching and gently massaging the injured area to prevent scar tissue from building up
- Improving the injured muscle function, stability, and biomechanics
- Building strength, speed, endurance, and flexibility of the injured muscle
- Serving as a substitute for invasive surgery
- Reducing pain and discomfort of the injured muscle
- Helping prevent disability
- Providing benefits for the long-term and prevention of injuries in the future
If you are thinking about visiting a doctor from our clinic, you can feel confident in knowing you are making a good choice. Better yet, you are on the path towards alleviating some, or all of your pain. The sooner you are treated for your condition, the better you may feel.
What Does an Arthritis Doctor Do?
A doctor from Northeast Spine & Wellness Center may also be able to treat patients with arthritis conditions. An arthritis doctor is also known as a rheumatologist. This professional has gone through med school and is a licensed doctor who has focused their career on treating arthritis. Some common conditions a doctor for arthritis and physical therapy Edison, NJ residents depend on might include:
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Psoriatic arthritis
- Chronic pain
- + More
Your first appointment can take one hour or more; therefore, we do ask that you plan accordingly. At your first visit for physical therapy Edison, NJ patients trust, you can expect some or all of the following to take place:
- An initial interview process that will discuss your full range of symptoms and medical history
- A thorough examination of the problematic areas
- Any necessary tests, X-rays, or other diagnostic measures
- A diagnosis
- A treatment plan
Questions Your Physical Therapy Doctor May Ask
Your doctor may ask you many questions so as to get to know you better. Do your best to be honest with your doctor. By doing so, you can be accurately assessed, diagnosed, and treated. One of the first questions might be regarding what brought you to Northeast Spine & Wellness Center. After, you can start to discuss more about what is going on. Your doctor might also ask you:
- What are some of the symptoms you are feeling?
- Do you have these symptoms often?
- Is there anything you do that makes your symptoms better, or worse?
- Are there any activities that cause you to have pain?
- Where is your pain?
- On a scale of 1-10, where is your pain level at?
- When you have pain, do you feel tired, hungry, or irritable?
- Do you feel like you’ve lost the ability to participate in activities?
- Are there any other symptoms such as headaches or fever?
Your Physical Exam
You will be asked to bend, stretch, flex, and extend your joints. The doctor will assess your movement ability and also compare your joints on each side of your body. This helps the doctor to understand how you move. Your physical exam may take 15 to 30 minutes, depending on your needs. The exam may include:
- A head to toe check
- Examining whether there is any noticeable inflammation
- Checking your blood pressure
- Listening to your heart and lungs
- Examining your eyes
- Applying light pressure to your joints
Your doctor might also order certain tests such as:
- Blood tests
- Urine tests
- Joint fluid tests
- CT scan
- + More
After your exam for physical therapy Edison, NJ families trust, you should have enough information to determine what the best approach to treatment should be. Physical therapy, occupational rehabilitation, chiropractic care, injections, and more may be recommended. Contact Northeast Spine and Wellness Center Today
Unfortunately, many people tend to brush off symptoms and not get medical attention right away for pain and discomfort. They may assume the pain is temporary and that it may even get better on its own. We strongly advise getting checked out by a chiropractor at Northeast Spine & Wellness Center before the injury can worsen.
If you are considering receiving chiropractic care and physical therapy Edison, NJ patients rely on for a knee injury, then contact us at Northeast Spine & Wellness Center today!
What can you do when you are experiencing pain?
When you have decided to get help from Northeast Spine & Wellness Center for physical therapy Edison, NJ residents trust, you know you are coming to the right place. Many people do not understand the need for a physical therapist or think that it may not be right for them. However, especially when you are recovering from an injury or illness, you may not realize how difficult it can be to do routine, everyday tasks. Our physical therapists take the time to sit down with you and learn about your problems so that they can target exactly the right kind of physical therapy for you. Once we get to know you better, we will have a plan to get you feeling like yourself. To see how our New Jersey physical therapy can help you, please give us a call.
What to Expect When Setting up Your Appointment
If you have never gone through physical therapy in Edison, NJ before, you may feel anxious setting up your appointment. You likely have many questions and want to know what you can expect. When you give our office a call, our friendly staff will be available to answer questions you have and work with you to find an appointment time that is best. We will want to know exactly what condition you need physical therapy for so that you know you are working with the right person who can help treat your ailment. Be upfront about costs and insurance so you are not worried about it when you come into your appointment and mention any concerns you may have.
What to Expect at Your First Edison, New Jersey Physical TherapyAppointment
When you come into our office for your first Edison physical therapy appointment, you may be wondering what the process will be like. Our team will want to know a few things before we can start a treatment plan designed for you.
- What is your range of motion?
- How much pain are you in?
- How much mobility do you have?
- How strong are you in the affected area?
- How mobile are you?
Once we have examined you, we can determine precisely which course of treatment is best for you. Be prepared to discuss what your medical history is, how you became injured in the first place, and what kind of movements make your symptoms and pain worse.
To see how our Edison, New Jersey physical therapy can help you, call our office to set up your appointment!
“The office and staff are the best!! Very friendly and warm atmosphere! You feel like your part of their family! They provide great care! Been a long time patient there. Would highly recommend them!”