The subspecialties of physical therapy are:
- Orthopedic physical therapy which focuses on restoring function to the joints, tendons, ligaments, and bones. Sports injuries fall into this category. Treatment methods are stretching, strength training, endurance exercises, hot and cold packs, ultrasound, and muscle stimulation with joint mobilization.
- Geriatric physical therapy focuses on the needs of older adults. Treatments included in geriatric physical therapy are for conditions like arthritis, cancer, osteoporosis, Alzheimer’s, joint replacement, and balance disorders.
- Neurological physical therapy is a physical therapy that focuses on neurological disorders such as Alzheimer’s, brain injuries, cerebral palsy, multiple sclerosis, and more. Treatment plans attempt to achieve autonomous function so that people with these disorders can live independently.
- Cardiopulmonary physical therapy focuses on helping people who have cardiovascular and pulmonary conditions. These conditions include heart attacks, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and pulmonary fibrosis. The end-goal is to increase endurance and improve independence.
- Pediatric physical therapy focuses on the needs of infants, toddlers, children and adolescents. Physical therapy is used for children who have diseases or injuries, including genetic disorders, head trauma, birth defects, muscle diseases, and much more.
Physical therapists are going to attempt to treat you without relying on medication. They want to use therapeutic exercises, modalities and treatments to treat pain, regain range of motion, strength and motor skills.
Physical therapy is a part of physical rehabilitation that deals with preserving, enhancing, and restoration of your neuromusculoskeletal system. Physical therapy is the treatment of disease, injury or deformity through methods such as massage, heat treatment, and exercise. It foregoes drugs and surgery.
If you need physical therapy in Edison, NJ come visit the Northeast Spine & Wellness Center.